Grade Grievance

Grade Related Grievances

In the case of a grade dispute between a student and an instructor of record, the student should first contact the faculty member to try to reach an agreement.

If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of this conversation, they may file an official departmental appeal. To do so, they must fill out the form below and submit it to the undergraduate coordinator. The undergraduate coordinator will collect a response to the petition from the instructor of record for the course. The original petition and the response will then be reviewed by the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUGS). If necessary, the DUGS may ask for a meeting either with the student, the instructor of record, or both individuals to clarify any pertinent facts and claims. After collecting the relevant data, the DUGS will convene an ad hoc committee of two additional faculty members. Together, the committee will vote as to whether the appeal will be granted or denied.

If the DUGS is the instructor of record for the course in question, the department head will coordinate the process.

If the appeal is denied, students may choose to meet with an advisor in the Office of Academic Advising by visiting 101 Oregon Hall or by calling 541-346-3211. The advisor can explain options to the student, including petitioning theĀ Scholastic Review Committee. If you have not met with your instructor and completed the departmental appeal, your advisor will send you to meet with them first before discussing a petition.

The departmental appeal process must be initiated within 14 days of receipt of the grade in question. The instructor should provide a response within 14 days of the receipt of the petition. The DUGS committee should meet and render a decision within 21 days of receipt of the instructor response.

Student Grade Grievance Form